- Acquisition of phonetic and phonemic contrasts in French by L1 speakers of Spanish and English: a comparative study of perception and production. Ongoing experimental research project, sponsored by the Graduate Program in Linguistics, UPRRP, in cooperation with Vincent Chanethom, George Mason University.
- Acquisition of New York City English by Caribbean Immigrants (Hispanic and Haitian). Sabbatical research project sponsored by the University of Puerto Rico and by New York University, Department of Linguistics. See recent publications in Language Sciences and in the Journal of English Linguistics.
Academic papers — Comments and feedback welcome!
- Mather – Language Policy and Social Justice in Québec (Paper presented at ISLS 2013 in San Juan, PR, now published)
- Mather – New York City Department Store Survey (Paper presented on Sept. 7, 2010 at the 18th Sociolinguistics Symposium, University of Southampton, United Kingdom) – now published in the Journal of English Linguistics (2012)
- Mather – Acquisition of NYC vowels by P.R. immigrants: preliminary findings – Paper presented on March 5, 2010 at the Research Institute for the Study of Language in Urban Society, CUNY Graduate Center, New York City. Now published in Language Sciences (2015).
Recent conference presentations
- « Acquisition de la phonologie de l’anglais new-yorkais par des immigrants hispano-caribéens », Variation in Language Acquisition 2, Université de Grenoble (France), 3-5 December 2014. Abstract VILA2 Grenoble 2014 (pdf)
- « Language Planning and Social Justice in Québec », Annual conference of the International Society for Language Studies, San Juan, Puerto Rico, 13-15 May 2013.
- « The social stratification of /r/ in New York City », Annual RISLUS Forum, CUNY Graduate Center, 23 New York City, 23 May 2011.
- « Acquisition of New York City vowels by Caribbean immigrants » American Dialect Society Annual Meeting, Pittsburgh, United States, January 2011.
« Phonetic and phonological variation in the English of Puerto Rican immigrants » NWAV, San Antonio, Texas, November 2010.
- « Labov’s Department Store study revisited » Sociolinguistics Symposium 18, University of Southampton, United Kingdom, September 2010.
- « L’enseignement du français langue étrangère à Porto Rico et à New-York » Annual Meeting of the Centre International d’Etudes Francophones, Montreal, Canada, June 2010.
- « Phonetic Changes in New York City: 1962-2009 » Annual Conference of the International Linguistic Association, SUNY-New Paltz, New York, April 2010.
- « The Acquisition of New York English phonetic features by Caribbean immigrants » Annual forum of the Research Institute for the Study of Language in Urban Society, CUNY Graduate Center, New York City, March 2010.